Our building’s heritage and story

  • 1890 | Looking across Prince Alfred Park

    Historic building with two towers in large open park area, surrounded by trees and pathways, with cityscape in the background.
  • Intercolonial Exhibition Building | Prince Alfred Park

    Black and white photo of a large historic exhibition building with ornate architecture and towers, featuring a prominent arched window and flagpoles with small flags.
  • 1900 | A new Central Station

    In 1900, construction commenced of the new Central Station, north of Devonshire Street.

    Much site clearance was required, including the Devonshire Street Cemetery and relocating the remains and headstones to a new cemetery.

    The new Central Station was opened in 1906, however the clock tower was not completed until 1921.

    Historical map showing the proposed extension of a railway terminus to Devonshire Street Cemetery in 1900, including various streets and landmarks such as Prince Alfred Park and Belmore Park.
  • 1905 | Castlereagh Street South renamed as Chalmers Street

    Chalmers Street was part of Castlereagh Street until 1905. Renaming coincided with the building of the new Central Station which disturbed the continuity of Castlereagh Street.

    The street name was derived from the Chalmers Church 1856, part of the Synod of Eastern Australia.

    The photo shows Prince Alfred Park in 1905, and note Chalmers Church in top right hand corner.

    Historical photograph of Joseph Paxton's The Crystal Palace in Sydenham, London, featuring a large domed structure with towers, a long building facade, and expansive lawns. Two people are seated on a bench under an umbrella, with a pathway and another person walking in the background.
  • 1906 | Dickson and Cridland

    Our building did not exist at this time with the site housing Dickson and Cridland Engineering Works.

    It was a sizeable engineering business specialising in machinery and boilers, as well as millwrights and blacksmiths.

    They relocated to larger premises in Marrickville in 1912.

    Vintage memorandum from Dickson & Cridland, engineers, millwrights, and blacksmiths, with handwritten notes. The company is noted for erecting, removing, and repairing boilers and machinery.
  • 1912 | Construction begins

    William Wallace & Co., a clothing manufacturer and importer, purchases the site, demolishing the previous engineering works and constructing a substantial building with four floors.

    This new building would house the manufacturing operations for the company, who had premises at 33-35 York Street, Sydney since 1903.

    The new building at 168-180 Chalmers Street opened for business in 1913.

    (Indicative image only, a Surry Hills construction site in 1912)

    Black and white photo of early 20th-century construction site with multiple trucks, a steam shovel, and industrial buildings in the background.
  • 1912 | Surry Hills transitions to manufacturing

    This was a key period in the development of Surry Hills, when the area evolved from a residential to a manufacturing precinct.

    Our building was one of many constructed during this period, including this Federation warehouse building at 119-127 Kippax Street (the Globite factory). This was built by luggage manufacturer Ford Sherington who made the famous Globite school cases for more than 50 years.

    Historic brick building labeled "Ford Sherrington Limited"
  • 1920 | Repatriating the troops

    World War I had ended on 11 November 1918, and Australian troops began to arrive home throughout 1919. More than 300,000 men had seen overseas service, with many thousands of troops having horrific injuries.

    The Commonwealth Department of Repatriation acquires our building to operate the War Pension Office, Invalid and Aged Pension Office, and the Artificial Limb Factory.

    Crowd gathered at a dock next to a large passenger ship, with people boarding or disembarking.
  • 1944 | Artificial Limb Factory, main office

    Black and white photo of people working in an office with desks, papers, and a man at a counter using an abacus.
  • Artificial Limb Factory, workshop

    People working in a workshop on wooden prosthetic limbs, with workbenches and tools.
  • 1956 | Street map

    Vintage map section displaying streets and buildings in a city area. Includes Cleveland St. Public School, Chalmers Street, Elizabeth Street, and others with various businesses and landmarks like Artificial Limb Factory, Particular Baptist Church, and Dux Heaters Pty Ltd. Buildings and lot numbers are marked along streets.
  • 1960 | Chalmers and Cleveland Streets

    A vintage street scene featuring a tram on tram tracks, classic cars, and a fish and chips shop. Traditional buildings, including a pharmacy, are in the background. The setting appears to be mid-20th century with overhead wires visible.
  • 1963-71 | Surry Hills evolves

    In the 1960s the gentrification process begins in Surry Hills, as students and young professionals flock to the area as its proximity to the city made it a desirable alternative to suburban living.

    Then, in the 1970s, the Whitlam Government is elected, marking a change in Australia’s political consciousness, felt all the way down to a community level. Many resident action groups are formed in Surry Hills during this decade, aiming to protect the area’s history and local culture.

    Black and white photo of a four-story industrial-style building with large windows and arched detailing. Two vintage cars are parked on the street.
  • 1974-97 | Artificial Limb Factory vacates the building

    In 1974 the Department of Repatriation was dissolved and the building was sold.

    During the next 25 years our building was utilised in many ways: as a clothing factory on the second floor (1995), the David Atkins Dance Studio (1991), and clothing manufacturer T.C Lin Pty Ltd which operated across a number of floors including the ground floor (1980-89).

    Vintage photo of a large, multi-story brick building with arched windows, featuring a "To Let" sign and graffiti on the wall. Several cars parked on the street. Black and white image.
  • 1997-2000 | A building is reborn

    In 1997, the Presbyterian Church of Australia purchases the building with the aim of converting the existing dilapidated commercial warehouse into modern office space and residential apartments.

    In 2000 the building redevelopment was completed with the Church offices accommodated on levels one and two and the remaining floors become a new residential apartment building, Parc Belvoir!

    Urban street scene with a modern multi-story brick building featuring large windows, balconies, and a streetlight in a city setting.
  • Sign on brick wall reading "Parc Belvoir, 6 Belvoir Street" with a tree silhouette.